Our vision is a community where every voice is heard.
The Kalamazoo Poetry Festival connects people through the power of poetry.
We believe poetry is for everyone. Therefore, we:
- provide opportunities for poetic expression
- promote learning through poetry
- celebrate the diverse voices in our community
- showcase experienced and emerging poets
- promote poetry as a vibrant and vital art form, and
- honor those keeping poetry alive in our community.
To meet our goals, the KPF presents a multi-day Poetry Festival every other year. The Festival includes guest poets, workshops, readings, craft talks, and other activities. Everyone is invited, and the events are free. In non-Festival years, we present a Celebration of Community Poets that highlights established and emerging poets in the Kalamazoo area.
With interest in poetry supposedly waning, we hope the Festival will increase enthusiasm for poetry for the poetry-curious as well as the poetry-experienced.